Pic

Pic

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

my favorite cabinet

Hey everyone! Hope ya'lls week is going wonderful so far! The weather here has felt like spring the last few days and now that I have had a little taste of it I couldn't be more ready for the warm weather to stay for good...not too much longer:) I thought I would share one of my favorite pieces i have in my house! I love this old cabinet mainly because my grandfather built it. He passed away years ago but was a fabulous furniture maker and I cherish every piece I have that he made. This one sits in my living room by the front door and houses a lot of my favorite goodies that I like to display (and I like that they are behind glass so the kiddies don't get them:))



It fits perfectly under my stain glass window. I've put things such as some of my old glass jars, my willow tree angels, vintage stars, picture of my husband's grandfathers dump truck from way back when, family pictures, vintage glass doorknob, white bowls, wire basket and metal signs.


There was no paint on this when my parents gave it to me. It was just stained a dark walnut color which was pretty but to better go with the rest of my decor I painted it white and distressed it to give more of the vintage feel. I added a wire basket with wooden handles and silver pots with flowers on top because it was too bare without anything.


I love that I can tell my kids that my "Pop" built this many, many years ago. This is a very special piece that will remain in my home forever and ever!



6 comments:

  1. What a sweet story. :) I LOVE this cabinet. I'm obsessed with distressed paint. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cabinet...great piece!! We have a piece that was my husband's grandfather's. he was a jeweler and we have his jeweler's cabinet with all his tools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so sweet, your father had made a beautiful cabinet.
    Then you transformed into amazing ones.
    very shabby!love it
    have a good week

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that treasure you have that your dad made for you. I love old things with history re purposed in my home too especially if they are from someone special. Love that you have that piece and treasure it.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you painted that cabinet white and let some of the stain show through. It's very farmhouse looking. I'm sure your kids will love knowing that it is from their grandfather. That piece will most likely get hand down through the family in the distant future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that your grandfather built this beautiful cabinet. What a great remembrance of him and his talents. Love the cabinet!

    ReplyDelete